Monday, March 14, 2011

Ranch dogs



Pantoum
A week at the Lazy R
I wish my mind were clear as Kansas sky.
Meadowlarks sing along the fence line.
Sun-bleached prairie forces eyes clean shut.
Limestone and snow, grass and sky.

Meadowlarks sing along the fence line.
Heavy owl lumbers to its hole.
Limestone and snow, grass and sky.
Swales swell with snowmelt, glisten.

Heavy owl lumbers to its hole.
Sage points his grizzled muzzle to the creek.
Swales swell with snowmelt, glisten.
I sink into snowdrifts, trip on cattle bones.

Sage points his grizzled muzzle to the creek.
What kite would pass muster in this wind?
I sink into snowdrifts, trip on cattle bones.
Calf in the gully, belly ripped clean.

What kite would pass muster in this wind?
The old tin windmill sings.
Calf in the gully, belly ripped clean.
By the fire, I find my husband’s lips again.

The old tin windmill sings.
In the draw, last year’s tumbleweeds.
By the fire, I find my husband’s lips again.
Out here, night sky’s awash in stars.

In the draw, last year’s tumbleweeds.
I wish my mind were clear as Kansas sky.
Out here, night sky’s awash in stars.
Sun-bleached prairie forces eyes clean shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment